Living and working green
It’s our responsibility—and our privilege
At Summit, running our business in a sustainable, earth-friendly way isn’t something that’s “nice” to do—it’s something that speaks to the very heart of our commitment to our members and our community. Here are just a few of the many ways we’re working to live more lightly on our planet.
For our members
- We deliver online and mobile banking options, including mobile deposits and Bill Payer
- Provide Teller Phone 24/7 at 800-236-0985
- Help members shred and recycle personal documents with annual ShredFests in Milwaukee and Madison
- Remind members at our drive-ups to reduce engine idling
- Have drinking fountains with a bottle refill feature in our new construction
Support local energy-efficiency programs
For our employees
- We offer a workplace Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) program (since 2014). This program gives employees access to delicious fresh produce and supports local farmers too. Summit is one of only two Dane County businesses that offers payroll deduction for CSA membership.
- Provide free e-waste recycling and add e-waste from the credit union. Together, we recycled 10,000 pounds of e-waste in 2016 alone.
- Have a green team and a green page on our intranet for information, education and connections on sustainability.
- Make sustainable operations part of our facilities team focus.
For our facilities
- Invested in controls to troubleshoot heating/AC issues remotely, saving time, travel and gas.
- Set building temperature levels to conserve energy.
- Adjusted lighting timers in our parking lots to avoid unneeded runtimes.
- Planned our landscaping to reduce the amount of watering.
- Reduced 50% of paper usage in our mortgage process.
- Offered e-learning to reduce fuel and paper use, and print training materials in an eco-friendly font.
- Added projectors to more meeting rooms to reduce paper reports.
- In 2016: Replaced light fixtures in ten locations and saved approximately 24,000kw/hrs annually (based on 2,750 hrs/year).
- In 2016: Swapped computers for more energy-efficient versions. Switching 250 computers reduced power use from 60,000 watts to 12,000 watts annually.
- Install refurbished cubicles.
- Reuse furnishings and fixtures when possible.
- Donate furniture we can’t reuse to area nonprofits.
- Recylcle lighting materials, batteries, old appliances—even old data wires.
- Commit to working with contractors who recycle old carpeting instead of sending it to a landfill.
WE MAKE SUSTAINABLE CHOICES
- Use organic weed control at several locations.
- Provide biodegradable/compostable cups in our lobbies.
- Whenever possible, Summit incorporates the following in our new construction:
- White membrane roofing to reflect heat loads
- LED exterior signage
- Landscape plantings that need little water
- Rock-based landscape beds to reduce need for pesticides in weed control
- HVAC and lighting controls throughout building
- Reuse of materials from other buildings
- Water bottle refilling stations