What a whirlwind week in the Nelson house. Blake missed three days of school due to illness; thank goodness for grandparents close by so we could go to work. We had our nephew’s birthday party, Blake also had a sleepover at a friend’s house, Carly had a sleepover at grandma & grandpa’s, and it was our 12th anniversary, all on the same weekend. I guess we only had time for one project this weekend.
We had noticed that it was taking longer and longer for our clothes to dry in our dryer. I have a couple of problems with that. One, it takes too long to get the laundry done. Two, it’s using a lot more energy than it should. With energy costs always on the rise, I decided we should do something about this.
I decided that I would replace the dryer vent tubing. This tube can get clogged up with the lint that comes off of our clothes when they are in the dryer. This lint can restrict the air flow of the dryer vent, causing longer dry times, thus consuming much more energy than normal. The buildup of lint can also become a fire hazard if the buildup gets bad enough.
A basic kit to replace the tubing can be purchased at most any hardware store. I went with the semi-rigid aluminum tubing vs. the pleated, soft, flex tubing that was very commonly used in years past. The aluminum tube is much smoother on the interior, giving the lint fewer places to stick to, and keeps the air moving at a better velocity than the soft tubing.
The removal and installation of the new tubing is fairly simple. There are videos available online, or you can check out our video on the Project Money website when it publishes. We were able to do the replacement in only 25 minutes! Ten of those minutes were spent on the cleanup under the dryer after we moved it out to access the old tubing. A small investment ($20 kit and 25 minutes) to save energy, save laundry time, and improve the safety of our home, is worth every penny. Check those dryer vents!!
Angie & Cris